[Mageia-discuss] Linux is a KERNEL not an OS

Hoyt Duff hoytduff at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 00:18:57 CET 2011

On 3/2/11, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:

> So much about the real value of Stallman's demand from my POV. I do
> not want to belittle his and the GNU project's merits but I want to
> set proportions right.

If there were overwhelming support for the kind of thing RMS
advocates, it would have been accomplished by now because a consensus
would have emerged. That we are even having this conversation
demonstrates that it has not.

I appreiate what RMS has contributed, but as time goes on he sounds
more and more like a crazed King Canute . History will deliver
whatever his legacy will be; he cannot command it. It's sad that he
believes he can.

We can easly have a page in the wiki that recounts our collective
appreciation for all those who have contributed to what has
collectively and commonly become known as 'Linux'. Those who wish to
rage in support against the ignominy of the percieved
disenfranchisement that absorbs RMS in his each waking moment can find
their satisfaction there --  if that is even possible.

But please let us move beyond this neverending GNU/Linux-versus-Linux
variation on the  *-versus-* style of mental masturbation so dear to
some geeks. There will never be any clear winner and the only clear
loser is eveybody who reads this thread.

Let it go or you'll lose too.

--
Hoyt