[Mageia-discuss] Sound in Mageia?

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 3 22:46:17 CET 2011

2011/3/3 Maarten Vanraes <maarten.vanraes at gmail.com>:
> Op donderdag 03 maart 2011 17:07:13 schreef Wolfgang Bornath:
>> I have compared the laptop installation with the desktop installation
>> (where sound is working) but I can't find any possible reason.
>> The main point is: pulse does not start because of missing modules -
>> but because of lacking knowledge I can't find out which modules are
>> missing and why.
>
> it is odd, because i tried a laptop installation and the sound worked,
> (allthough i was just too quiet).
>
> i also have the snd_hda_intel driver

I found some new infos:

1. At installation time one of the needed libs is not available for
sound configuration (it is not on the install medium, only on ftp
tree). So when I try to configure sound in the installation summary
the configuration ends with an error (see bugzilla). But this can't be
the reason because it's working on my desktop machine where I used the
same installation medium.

2. lspci say that there are 2 sound devices available:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corp 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High
Definition Audio (rev 06)
02:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corp High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

But I may better wait for Alpha 2 - after the latest updates somehow
my whole installation is going down the drain:
 - opening a console window and typing 'mc' leads to a freeze of the
complete system freeze (not even SysReq keys working) - reproducible.
 - opening vlc, choosing "File - Open file" leads to a crash of vlc -
reproducible
 - clicking on starter icons in the task bar (like Firefox) does not
start anything (only occasional, after logout/login it works again.
 - installing the proprietary nvidia driver works, splash screen shows
the beta driver - after latest update I get the message that there is
no proprietary driver available, starting with free driver.

So I guess it makes not much sense to go on hunting for the cause of
"no sound" before Alpha 2 is out.
Hopefully these problems will be gone because this is the machine I
will have to use at our stand in Chemnitz in 2 weeks to demonstrate
mageia! :(

--
wobo