[Mageia-discuss] Fwd: Sound in Mageia?

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Mar 8 12:39:10 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Wolfgang Bornath at 03/03/11 22:51 did gyre and gimble:
> I looked into rpmdrake and just for a chance I searched for "pulse" -
> task-pulseaudio was not installed. I marked it for installation and 17
> packages were installed as dependencies! I also recognized that
> /etc/pulse/system.pa was completely missing.

FWIW, although system.pa should be there, we don't actually use it
(officially). I made a conscious decision a while ago to not ship an
init script to start PA system wide (which is when system.pa is used) as
it's generally discouraged and not well supported. I didn't get much in
the way of flack for that so I don't have any immediate plans to change
it. Finding and installing an init script if you really want it isn't
that hard and will also make you think twice... don't want to make it
too easy :D

> After a reboot I had to make a change in the speaker configuration of
> phonon (via KDE config tool) and Ho! - Then there was sound!

Out of curiosity, what did you change it from and to? Can you supply the
"pacmd list" output (just want to double check that the default
profiles/ports are sensible on your h/w).

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie