[Mageia-discuss] Poll: Which Desktop Environment will you be using on Mageia?

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 24 16:45:54 CET 2011

2011/3/24 Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org>:

> Quote: Oliver Burger wrote on Thu, 24 March 2011 15:54
>
>> So why take the time and effort to create and manage such a poll?
>
> The time and effort to set up the poll was next to zero, if you have ever
> set up a poll in any forum you would know how easy it is.

Even the 20 seconds I'd need to create a poll in phpbb3 would be too
much time wasted.

> So worst case too few people vote and the results will be useless, best
> case enough people vote to give a representative overview of user
> preferences.

Hmm, what do you mean by "representative"?
For those who are looking into your forum? may be.
For Mageia users? Probably not.
For Linux users? Definitely not.

> Personally I think it's interesting to see how popular the less popular DEs
> are among Mageia users, it's obvious that KDE4 will get the most votes, but
> it's the votes for the other DEs that are more interesting.

That's no news.

> If the poll gets enough votes to be representative then results could for
> example be used to decide which alternative DEs should get a (unofficial)
> Live CD release (apart from KDE4 and Gnome).

The criteria to release a special LiveCD edition with one DE is: do we
have a group who are motivated to do that. Nothing more.

This is a free system and everybody can spend his time on anything he
likes, so, if you think it's worth the time to have the zillionth
desktop poll, good. :) But don't expect it to be worth anything and
don't expect it to influence anything.

--
wobo