[Mageia-discuss] mageia-app-db v0.2 released

Juan Luis Baptiste juan.baptiste at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 06:10:31 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Samuel Verschelde <stormi at laposte.net> wrote:

> Le mardi 12 avril 2011 17:36:21, Hoyt Duff a écrit :
>> > Many people in the team like "AppGalaxy",
>>
>> I suggest "Portmanteau", as it accurately describes the mashup of the
>> many different aspects of the "mageia-app-db" and is a "container" as
>> in the original sense of the word. It is similar (but obviously
>> different) from "ports" or "portage" but draws meaning from that word
>> association. And it's French but is also used in the English language.
>> And, it's sexier that "AppGalaxy",
>
> Well, as a french person I don't find Portmanteau very appealing :)

In spanish as probably as in other languages doesn't mean anything and
sounds strange. I think the name should be at least a simple phrase in
english so it is more universal, something like "Universal Linux
Packages Database" or similar. I also don't like the idea of using
abreviations in names, that makes the name less obvious and looks too
geeky IMO.

--
Juancho