[Mageia-discuss] No USB with VirtualBox on Mageia?

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 05:51:19 CEST 2011

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 23:30:11 -0400, Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws at hotkey.net.au> wrote:

> I have just installed Version 4.0.8 on top with --force.  It didn't recompile
> DKMS, and the splash screen still shows 4.0.6.

I have usb working in VirtualBox.

I uninstalled everything shown by "rpm -qa|grep -i virtual".
I then installed VirtualBox-4.0-4.0.8_71778_mdv2010.0-1.i586.rpm
downloaded from the VirtualBox website.

When I tried starting it from a konsole, there was an error message
regarding libcrypto, so I created a symlink in /usr/lib with
libcrypto.so.0.9.8 -> libcrypto.so.1.0.0

I then installed the extension pack for 4.0.8.

After that, in a guest xp session, the usb devices were shown, but
were grayed out.  Don't forget to install the updated guest additions
in the guest.

After some debugging, I found that creating ...
$ cat /etc/ld.so.conf.d/virtualbox.conf
/usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86

and running ldconfig, after restarting VirtualBox, the usb devices
were accessible.

Regards, Dave Hodgins