[Mageia-discuss] No USB with VirtualBox on Mageia?

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 22:00:58 CEST 2011

On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 12:54:09 -0400, Maurice Batey <maurice at bcs.org.uk> wrote:

>   But it's the OSE VB that also Mandriva 2010.2 provides, yet I was
> still able to d/l and install the Oracle version with USB support (with
> the Extension Pack) without all the hassle you went through under
> Mageia.

Older versions of VirtualBox had Open source versions and closed versions
where only the closed version supported usb.

The current version is only open source, with the usb support being
added by the extension pack.

The difference between the Mageia rpm  and the Mandriva rpm from the
VirtualBox website is the version of python and libcrypto that it's
built to use.

> I'm puzzled why the difference...

If you've already done everything I suggested before, the only thing
I can think of that might be different, is permissions.

I add my login id to all groups using userdrake.  Don't forget to logout
and back in, after making group changes.

Regards, Dave Hodgins