[Mageia-discuss] Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Sun Jun 5 11:30:48 CEST 2011

lör 2011-06-04 klockan 18:57 +0300 skrev Hoyt Duff:

> The goal should be to have a distro that 'just works'. Solving the
> problem by copying files from outside the repositories may point out a
> deficiency in Mageia repos, but not if the solution can be found
> within.

Yes.

> And this brings up a point of having the tainted repos as "opt-in".
> This thinking comes from a philosophy of some kind of "pure" Linux
> which eschews non-free licensed software.However, some hardware can
> only be useful with non-free software and it's unrealistic to pretend
> that such hardware does not exist nor that those using such hardware
> will have the knowledge and skill to enable the tainted repo.

Its not about pretending that the hw does not exist. It's about
educating people about trying to buy hw that is properly supported
by free software when/if possible.

> I realize that the purists among us have decide to disable the tainted
> repos by default, but those same people are the ones most likely to
> have selected hardware that does not depend on non-free software and
> they are also skilled Linux users. The opt-in approach serves to
> advance their political agenda at the expense of having a distro that
> 'just works' for the average to non-technical user.

It's not just about "purists".
It's also about the reality. There are people that live in countries
where software patents are a reality, and they want to have a "clean"
install by default.

So it should be opt-in by default, not opt-out.

> It may be more sense to enable the tainted repos by default and
> provide an opt-out screen during the installation: "Repositories
> offering access to software that have non-free licenses are enabled by
> default. To keep your Mageia system unencumbered by software with
> restrictive or non-free licenses, please un-check the box. Certain
> hardware may not function without such non-free software and if you
> are unsure, leave the box checked."

Actually it was intended to be the other way around, even for nonfree
section. But no-one had time to adapt and properly test the installer
for those changes for Mageia 1, so we left nonfree enabled.

For Mageia 2 anything but core will be disabled by default.
And when the installer notices the need of something from nonfree, it
will ask to enable it.

--
Thomas