[Mageia-discuss] User support mailing list?

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sun Jun 5 12:18:03 CEST 2011

Hi Remco

Le 2011-06-05 05:39, Remco Rijnders a écrit :
> On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:27:56PM +0200, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
>
>> But back to the initial topic:
>>
>> The issue here is the request to have another list which covers
>> exactly what the forums are made for. Is this really necessary and -
>> the main question - would this list have a chance to be living along a
>> forum? Mind that a users support list would NOT be the same as this
>> list here, you can't judge what would happen in a user support list by
>> looking who is posting here in this list!
>
> Who knows what will happen? Will Mageia succeed as a distribution? Who
> knows. You won't know for certain till you've tried it. There is no
> guarantee a mailing list set up for this purpose will fail, nor is there
> that it won't.
>
> Some of the feedback I received so far seems to give arguments in favour
> of a mailing list and then draws the opposite conclusion that a mailing
> list won't be needed.
>
> Other feedback indicates this list *is* / *isn't* the appropiate place
> for user questions, and despite the opposing view points both conclude
> that there is no need for a mageia-user@ list.
>
> What I can conclude from the discussion of the past few days is that
> despite support from several people for the creation of such a list,
> that there is as much or more opposition to it for a variety of reasons
> (most which I personally disagree with). As such, it seems unlikely that
> such a list will officially be set up in the near future.
>
> I'll personally let the subject rest for now and will reevaluate the
> compatibility between my views and ideas for Mageia with that of the
> founders. Apologies should anyone feel I have wasted their time bringing
> this up.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Remco

As I have come into the discussion at a very late date, I would like to
express my point of view as well FOR a "user support list". We should
provide to all users a variety of ways by which they are able to
communicate problems with the Mageia team. IMO it seems defeatist to
remove one of the most logical tools known to the internet community
where they could seek communication with a support team.

As we all know by now, such a support list can easily be bridged to a a
forums board where any of the Mageia support team members would be
available to help trouble-shoot events causing frustration to our user
base.

It does not make any sense to cut off any avenues of communication for
our user base when we are looking for growth of our product. If we do
so, the we can not complain later of of user apathy if users cannot
easily find a communication model by which they feel comfortable to
voice their satisfaction, positive or negative.

Let's make it easy for all to speak to us rather than have them conform
to a system where they may feel uncomfortable. They will only go to
another platform where they will be able to participate freely. Let's
offer choice rather than limits.

Cheers

Marc