[Mageia-discuss] User support mailing list?

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Mon Jun 6 11:25:48 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 05:10:20AM -0400, andre999 wrote:
>Daniel Kreuter a écrit :
>>Hello all,
>>
>>I like the idea of a dedicated support ml for users. Ubuntu is using
>>such lists and it is very well used even there exists irc and forums as
>>well.
>>
>>So why shouldn't we try something like that? If it's not used we can
>>delete the list and use the forums instead.
>>
>>Like already mentioned the users should decide which kind of medium to
>>use to ask their questions.
>>
>>So far
>
>>Daniel Kreuter
>
>Yes indeed.
>According to the Ubuntu wiki, the "ubuntu-users" mailing list is for "Ubuntu help and user discussions"
>They do not have a separate user discussion list.

I'm not too familiar with the Ubuntu-way of things, but
https://lists.ubuntu.com/ has the following:

Community Support
ubuntu-users - Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions

I agree that they do not seem to have a general discussion list, though I
think this one (last one) would come closest similar to the discussions we
have on here:

Development Lists
ubuntu-devel - Ubuntu Development (developers)
ubuntu-devel-discuss - Ubuntu Development (users and developers)

Other discuss subjects have their own lists to discuss these subjects.

>This mailing list, called Mageia-discuss, is for user discussions and help.
>So why would you want to split this list ?
>You're just going to remove many of the people who help.

I am not sure if this is true. Anyways, if this list is the appropiate
place for end user technical support questions, then it surely is not very
clear. Our documentation and webpages only point to the forums and IRC
channel for support. Also, I feel the current name is a bit of a misnomer
then as it currently is.

Still, why not have one mailinglist for everything then? If any split will
result in removing people providing useful input, then we are already
functioning suboptimally.

Cheers,

Remco