[Mageia-discuss] Gnome3 on Mageia 1

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Tue Jun 7 16:12:34 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 08:42:59PM +0800, 姚智偉 wrote:
> Fallback mode would be killed someday....

Not during 3.x.

> I don't think that a good statement to argue that GNOME3 can replace
>
> GNOME2.

Care to clarify?

GNOME 2.32 is not needed if you use fallback of GNOME 3.x[1]. That
_maybe_ gnome-panel won't be in GNOME 4.x doesn't change the fact that
GNOME 2.32 is not needed when GNOME 3.x is available.

The decision regarding to keep gnome-panel can be made at whichever time
gnome-panel is actually is dropped. But at the moment and foreseeable
future, that is not the case.

FWIW, GNOME panel has received more attention in the buildup towards
GNOME 3 than it did during *many* GNOME 2.x releases.
--
Regards,
Olav

[1] For fallback experience, best to use GNOME 3.2. A few applets
weren't ported in time to make the 3.0 deadline. Latest GNOME 3.2
gnome-applets unstable versions have a lot more applets ported.