[Mageia-discuss] Mageia-discuss Digest, Vol 10, Issue 34

James Kerr jim at jkerr82508.free-online.co.uk
Thu Jun 9 12:55:44 CEST 2011

On 09/06/11 09:33, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 10:22:22 PM mageia-discuss-request at mageia.org wrote:
>> Secondly, what is wrong with installing two versions of Python?  Ubuntu
>> have 3  versions (Python 3 as well.)  Considering that VirtualBox was not
>> a priority for Mageia 1, I thought that Python 2.6 might come later.  I
>> don't know how many people have made Mageia their principal distro.  I had
>> to reinstall Mandriva 2010.2 long after the CD was released, and Mageia
>> Beta 2 was available at about the right time.  It seemed to be Mandriva
>> 2010.3.  It is O.K. for most of my needs, and I know that the trimmings,
>> the eye candy, etc. will come later.  I have no desire to go back to
>> Mandriva at the moment.  I can wait.  It is like somebody who wanted to
>> know where his whizz-bang graphic effects were.  wobo replied that Mga 1
>> was not about those.  What has been achieved is great.
>>
>> Doug Laidlaw.
>
> FWIW, I just installed the Mandriva libpython2.6 RPM.  It had no dependencies.
> Windows under VirtualBox now shows my USB devices as available.  Ubuntu still
> says that the extensions are not installed; there must be a defective
> installation in that case.

I'm not sure that I understand all that has been discussed in this
thread, but I use the "all distributions" version of vbox. I installed
the 4.0.8 version and the corresponding extension pack, and added my
user to the vboxusers and usb groups.

When vbox compiled the modules it reported that the python bindings were
not installed, but I have not seen any adverse consequence.

My USB devices are fully functional in my Windows VM's and in an older
linux VM. I don't have a more recent linux VM available at present. I
did not add any additional python package.

The 4.0.8 additions had already been installed in all the VM's before I
installed Mageia.

Jim