[Mageia-discuss] Partitioning tools

Jeff Robins jeffrobinssae at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 20:32:15 CEST 2011

It really should be starting on sector 2048 (1MiByte boundary).  This
ensures that the partitions will be optimal for 4KiByte sector drives and
future drives that have sectors sizes all of the way up to 1MiByte.
I believe this is the default for Parted and I know it is the default for
gParted.  The menu option is "optimal" in Parted.

Starting on sector 63 causes the alignment of the file-system to be off with
the alignment of 4KiByte block size disks, which can cause performance
issues if the systems has a lot of files smaller than 4KiByte.  If a small
file is changed (modified, deleted, copied), then it will require 2 sectors
to be modified instead of just one.

Good source of info:
"
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5655/~/how-to-install-a-wd-advanced-format-drive-on-a-non-windows-operating-system