[Mageia-discuss] Nice review!

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 11 14:13:40 CEST 2011

2011/6/11 Anne nicolas <ennael at mageia.org>:

> 2011/6/11 Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>
>>
>> Yes, nice review but with flaws.
>>
>> In my review I will talk about this as well but I will also tell why
>> this is so and the simple way for the user to get his drivers.
>>
>> The advantage of an author who knows about the subject of his review.
>> That's why the German magazine was pleased to have Mandriva users
>> write the Mandriva reviews.
>>
>> As for the non-free issue: I really wonder why this is coming up again
>> and again and again. It was decided that we keep the DVD free of
>> non-free drivers and that we will have these drivers on the Live
>> media. Why has this to be discussed again, nothing has changed in the
>> meantime.
>>
>> +1 for Thomas sentence about what we are promoting. I would not be a
>> part of all this if we didn't.
>
> I do agree also. But maybe we have to make some effort to improve our
> description of available media and why these choice. Eve if this is clear
> for us it may be not that  clear for others. BTW I did post a comment on the
> article to explain this. I also answered Beranger onTwitter on same topic.
>  A great task for our marketing team :)

Yes, we did a lot of such commenting on articles and posting in the
forums about this issue for Mandriva because with each release there
are new users coming and asking. And we are doing it for Mageia as
well. Somehow each new user thinks he has to start his own thread
about this :(

That's why I'd like to see a basic text, explaining everything. This
text could be published on the website (a link on the download page
"What about non-free software?" leading to that text), in the forums
as general announcement, a link in the release notes, etc. And of
course a blog entry "Mageia's distribution policy about non-free
software".

Then we do not have to explain it all over again and again in mails
and forums. Reviews will still remain the same because normal review
authors do not read such texts. :(

--
wobo