[Mageia-discuss] task-multimedia metapackages?

Daniel Kreuter daniel.kreuter85 at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 20 23:29:23 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Florian Hubold <doktor5000 at arcor.de>wrote:

> Am 20.06.2011 22:32, schrieb Florian Hubold:
>
>  Hello,
>>
>> just want to gather some opinions about a metapackage for all those
>> multimedia
>> stuff. Especially among newbies and beginners there seems to be need for
>> easy
>> installation of multimedia-related packages, be it codecs, or media
>> players
>>
> The intended use case of this was originally to offer an easy
> one-stop-installation
> of the most common and most requested packages,
> like flash-plugin, win32-codecs (back in the days when those were still
> really needed),
> libdvdcss, gstreamer-*, lame, transcode, ffmpeg, and also stuff like unrar
> or wine.

One point in package installation which will be a really mess for a newbie
is our actual used package manager.

I think Ubuntu is going the right way with it's Software Center and i'm
thinking of adopting it for mageia (Maybe we are allowed to use it, don't
know under which license the Ubuntu Software Center is, and it will need
some rewriting for rpm support i think).

But it would be a good starting point with the task-multimedia i think.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Greetings

Daniel Kreuter