[Mageia-discuss] Freeze up

Thomas Spuhler thomas at btspuhler.com
Thu Jun 23 02:36:42 CEST 2011

On Wednesday, June 22, 2011 05:28:31 pm Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> 2011/6/23 Gary Montalbine <gmontalbine at cox.net>:
> > As I mentioned earlier I was having trouble with an overloaded windows
> > taskbar or whatever is across the bottom that shows what is open in my
> > windows. Also the program would suddenly try to reboot and stop. This
> > happened at least 3 times in 6 days. I reloaded ML2010.2. Monday I
> > decided to retry Mageia because I liked a couple of features. Outside of
> > the inability to select the proprietary driver for my radeon video card
> > during install all went well. I figured out how to install it using mcc.
> > I changed the kernel to desktop instead of server. About 3 hours later
> > the system froze and I had to push the reset button. The system froze
> > again Tuesday. So far no problem today. I have had more freeze ups in
> > the last 3 weeks with Mageia than an entire year with ML. I am a user
> > with limited technical skills. I would be glad to work with someone to
> > see if we can figure out the problem. If it continues I will need to
> > return to ML.
>
> I'm no techie but I'd start with describing exactly what you were
> doing when the system freezed (like what apps were open, what you were
> doing the moment the freeze happened, etc.). Plus a little bit more
> about the hardware of the computer.

Thanks someone else reported this too. I have several vms  using
virtualbox and a get random freezes after upgrade from Mandrova 2011.2, both
32 bit and 64 bit.
Same on mdv cooker after upgrade from mdv 2011 and fresh install. it's not
isolated to Mageia
I cannot find anything in the logs.

--
Thomas