[Mageia-discuss] mageiaupdate and the list of updates

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 2 12:58:30 CEST 2011

2011/7/2 Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>:
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 02:04:03 +0200
> Renaud MICHEL
> <r.h.michel+mageia at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On vendredi 01 juillet 2011 at 21:39, Antoine Pitrou wrote :
>> > It would be nice if mageiaupdate displayed the list of available
>> > updates before asking for a password. That way you don't have to
>> > bother typing it in if you aren't interested in these specific updates.
>>
>> Why wouldn't you be interested in the updates?
>> It only propose updates for packages that are installed on your system, if
>> there are updates for those packages it is for security reason, or bugfix.
>> Why would you want to keep insecure or buggy softwares?
>
> Because I don't use them all. Some things are installed by default,
> some as part of optional dependencies, some as part of some "task"
> package.
>
> For example, I probably have lots of KDE stuff installed, but I only
> use Kate (and I use it under GNOME ;-)). I'm not even talking about vim
> and such.

1. So you don't use a package you think it will cause no problems if a
security problem with said package remains unfixed?
2. Especially packages which were installed because of dependencies
need the updates because the software these packages are related to
will need the updated packages. If you shut them out of updates you
will run into problems soon.
--
wobo