[Mageia-discuss] mageiaupdate and the list of updates

Jim Whitby jim at whitby-jr.org
Sat Jul 2 22:10:19 CEST 2011

On 07/02/2011 03:10 PM, Renaud MICHEL wrote:
> On samedi 02 juillet 2011 at 20:07, Romain d'Alverny wrote :
>> So the user is stuck: unadvisable to skip the updates, unless she
>> understands the issues =>  just make the update automatic in a background
>> task by default then; one doesn't care about the issues - or won't have
>> a single clue about it either, unless being a specific type of user that
>> would know how to disable this auto update setting anyway).
> No, that is a bad idea, because you should not update a program while it is
> running (some won't care, others may have strange problems as some files
> they rely on have changed, or even corrupt what the user was working on), so
> the user must be aware of what is being upgraded so he can eventually
> stopped the concerned program.

Interesting. I need educating. What program(s) that you have updated,
that required you to stop using it *now*?
> Or if he is working on something important he may prefer to delay the update
> when his work is finished.
Ah! So that's how it works? I can upgrade and restart my program when I
feel like it?
> And even if none of the programs to be upgraded are in use at the moment, he
> may prefer do delay the update to avoid an IO-intensive task if he is
> working on something that requires all the resources of his computer.

So, *not* upgrading isn't an option? Saying no isn't possible? I can't
just do it later?

--
He's just a politician trying to save both his faces...