[Mageia-discuss] mageiaupdate and the list of updates

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 03:34:03 CEST 2011

On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 19:46:59 -0400, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:

> And there is no technical reasons to ask for password before displaying
> so I think we should ask it only for important reason ( ie, really
> update ).
> This would be consistent with others os ( os x ask the password only we
> choose to update, so does Fedora/packagekit and Ubuntu/apt-daemon ).

As urpmi is currently written, that would mean running urpmq --auto-select,
as the regular user, and then, if the update is wanted (which should be
most of the time), running (as root) the urpmi --auto-select.

On an older system like mine, that can waste quite a bit of time, and
would be an annoyance.

Regards, Dave Hodgins