[Mageia-discuss] mageiaupdate and the list of updates

Morgan Leijström fri at tribun.eu
Mon Jul 4 10:25:58 CEST 2011

måndagen den 4 juli 2011 04.30.32 skrev  Duane Phinney:

> Updates are not a suggestion,
> they are security updates, bug fixes, updates of applications that you
> have installed. It is not installing new programs on your computer.

Updates do break things even if they technically should not.

Yesterdays example: my bank refuse login after i updated firefox, saying it is
an unsupported browser.  Technically it is not and lucklily i have saved the
URL to step past the browser check, but my wife would have been locked out,
and * banking is a very important usage case *.
(and yes i have sent a bug report to the bank.)

Two yers ago i have had problems with Parallels virtualiser that did not work
on kernels later than a certain update and they never fixed it despite repeated
promises.

Theese are just examples.

( This is not Linux only, my fathers ASUSA600 fail hibernating since some
WinXP updates, and my sons WinXP fail connecting trough wifi since some updates
and stubbornly reinstalls the borked driver. ( I am not sawy on Windows to
mend this, and it will soon turn Mageia instead ;)  )