[Mageia-discuss] mageia software repository

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU beranger5ca at yahoo.ca
Thu Jul 7 12:21:53 CEST 2011

>Understood, looked at the i586 instead. Suppose a new version of
>mplayer is released today, how long would it take to appear in the
>repository?

A new version of mplayer would not appear as an update to Mageia 1, unless it's a security fix or a very critical bugfix.
It would normally appear in Mageia Cauldron, but initially in testing, I suppose.

Other people should tell you how long would it take until it would show up in Mageia 1 in backports, not in updates.

>Can urpmi be used by the command terminal to upgrade only mplayer? If
>related library files also need to be upgraded, can urpmi select
>automatically only those required to run the latest version of
>mplayer? Or must the entire mageia distribution be upgraded?

When you urpmi mplayer, supposing a new mplayer package is released, the necessary dependencies will also be updated as required.

If you really want to use the latest packages, and possibly experience some breakage, you can switch to Cauldron. This can be done by running as root the following 3 commands:

urpmi.removemedia -a

urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist http://mirrors.mageia.org/api/mageia.cauldron.i586.list

urpmi --replacefiles --auto-update --auto

Cheers,
R-C aka beranger