[Mageia-discuss] VirtualBox releases

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Thu Jul 21 14:20:34 CEST 2011

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 08:00:03 PM mageia-discuss-request at mageia.org wrote:
> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 16:15:53 +0300
> From: Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com>
> To: andrewsfarm at gmail.com,      Mageia general discussions
>         <mageia-discuss at mageia.org>
> Subject: Re: [Mageia-discuss] VirtualBox releases
>
> On 20 July 2011 15:03, TJ <andrewsfarm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > New VirtualBox releases are coming thick and fast. On July 15, Oracle
> > released version 4.0.12. Yesterday, four days later, version 4.1.0 was
> > released.
> >
> > At this rate, it's going to be next to impossible for the repositories to
> > keep up, and to remain viable for all users they may not even want to
> > try.
> >
> > If a user wants to try it on his own, what would be the best procedure? I
> > had originally thought that for now the Oracle-supplied Mandriva rpms
> > would probably work, but I've read that they won't because they use a
> > version of Python different from that of Mageia.

I installed Python 2.6 from the Mandriva RPM.  It had no dependencies,
fortunately.  It gives me "backwards compatibility."  I know that 2.7 is the
current release, but Ubuntu has both 2.6, 2.7 and 3.

The other issue was the version of libcrypto.so.  A symlink works, but I then
install the Oracle RPM for Mandriva with "rpm -Uvh --nodeps."  I haven't had
any issue with SSL, but I don't use VirtualBox over a network.

Doug.