[Mageia-discuss] Mozilla updates

TJ andrewsfarm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 15:04:59 CEST 2011

On 08/28/2011 11:27 PM, Remco Rijnders wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 08:47:28PM -0400, TJ wrote in
> <j3enj7$27u$1 at dough.gmane.org>:
>> As I complete my brand-new production install of Mageia 1, I'm
>> overjoyed to see that Firefox has been updated to version 6. Too bad
>> they didn't do the same with Thunderbird...
>>
>> Oh, well. At least the vendor's package is easy to install.
>
> For firefox, the new release claims to offer some fixes for security
> issues while the release packaged has been EOL'ed by Mozilla, meaning no
> security fixes will be made to those older versions anymore.
>
> With Thunderbird, they have been less clear and the version released
> with Mageia is still supported, sort of. Because of this, and for as
> long as this holds, that release will be included with Mageia 1, though
> newer versions might well appear in the backports section.

I'm going to hope that Mageia's backports have a better track record for
me than Mandriva's has. A backport of Firefox 3.6 disabled the help
system for Gnucash, just as I was in the middle of trying to learn how
to use it, and a backported hplip was a disaster with my printers. To be
fair, a backported Gimp upgrade worked just fine, as did a recent
VirtualBox. Even so, that's only a 50% success rate, not particularly
encouraging.

TJ