[Mageia-discuss] Minimal package number at first install

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Fri Sep 2 16:19:27 CEST 2011

On Friday, September 02, 2011 01:22:10 AM Buchan Milne wrote:
> On Thursday, 1 September 2011 21:27:18 Xuo wrote:

> > I just want to have a server for nfs shares, music shares, ssh
> > connections, web server, roundcube mail server, ftp server, ...
> > I agree that now a days, 660Mb of disk space is not a problem (and it is
> > not really for me, except that I'll have to format my root partition
> > because /usr/share size really increases).
> > My question is just a question of principle. Why use 660Mb when less
> > could be enough ? As I said, Freenas is about 100Mb

> AFAIK, impossible to get under 100MB, unless we ship old, unsupported
> versions of samba with known vulnerabilities.

The distribution named Damn Small Linux claims to be consistently under 50 MB
in size, and the Linux From Scratch page states that it is not difficult to get
an LFS installation under 100 MB. Perhaps an examination of these projects'
work would illuminate possibilities for some Mageia installation options.

Another thought that occurs is that the kernel itself might be trimmed of
otherwise unused code in particular installations. However, making that
process safer and less intimidating for users may be an interesting challenge.

Ken