[Mageia-discuss] Mozilla updates

TJ andrewsfarm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 23:42:50 CEST 2011

On 08/30/2011 09:15 AM, Florian Hubold wrote:
> Am 30.08.2011 15:04, schrieb TJ:
>> On 08/28/2011 11:27 PM, Remco Rijnders wrote:

>>> For firefox, the new release claims to offer some fixes for security
>>> issues while the release packaged has been EOL'ed by Mozilla, meaning no
>>> security fixes will be made to those older versions anymore.
>>>
>>> With Thunderbird, they have been less clear and the version released
>>> with Mageia is still supported, sort of. Because of this, and for as
>>> long as this holds, that release will be included with Mageia 1, though
>>> newer versions might well appear in the backports section.
>>>
>> I'm going to hope that Mageia's backports have a better track record
>> for me than Mandriva's has. A backport of Firefox 3.6 disabled the
>> help system for Gnucash, just as I was in the middle of trying to
>> learn how to use it, and a backported hplip was a disaster with my
>> printers. To be fair, a backported Gimp upgrade worked just fine, as
>> did a recent VirtualBox. Even so, that's only a 50% success rate, not
>> particularly encouraging.
>>
>> TJ
>>

> Please see thread on Mageia-dev, related to Thunderbird update strategy
> for Mageia 1.
> Subject: thunderbird update for mageia 1: update to 6.0 or go with 3.1
> branch?

Since my install has but one ordinary user (me), "he's" the only one
who's going to use Thunderbird. I have had "him" install the vendor's
version of Thunderbird in his home directory. Then, root put a link to
it named "tbird" in /usr/bin. That seems to work just fine. If I'm
correct, in the future that should make Thunderbird updates a simple
matter of using the vendor's update function.

There are a *few* things I can handle on my own...

TJ