[Mageia-discuss] Install fails (solved, ot at least worked around)

Renaud MICHEL r.h.michel+mageia at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 19:24:01 CEST 2011

On lundi 12 septembre 2011 at 00:37, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote :
> I have finally worked round the problem by booting from a rescue disk
> (Knoppix  is your friend), and formatting with bad block check the
> various partitions of the HD (except /home).
>
> Next attempt at install worked.
>
> But an upgrade would have been nice, and less hassle.

If the bad blocks where the problem, you could have used the -c option of
e2fsck (along with any other needed option for your case, see "man e2fsck",
-k may be useful later) which make it call badblocks (like mke2fs does) and
record in the existing filesystem where the bad blocks are located and then
try to salvage what it can.

--
Renaud Michel