[Mageia-discuss] Third button emulation ?

Renaud (Ron) Olgiati renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org
Fri Sep 23 12:09:18 CEST 2011

On Monday 12 Sep 2011 07:08 my mailbox was graced by a message from Renaud
(Ron) Olgiati who wrote:
> Found a solution on an Ubuntu list/blog:
> Seems the problem comes from a new default onfig of evdev, which no longer
> activates by default the three-button emulation.
> There is no GUI way to change this at the moment, it can be changed by
> adding  to xorg.conf the following:
>
> Section "InputClass"
>     Identifier "middle button emulation class"
>     MatchIsPointer "on"
>     Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
> EndSection
>
> I read (but did not check, not a Gnome user) that under gnome
> $> gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.mouse
> middle-button-enabled true
> also does trick.

Another solution is to install xinput,
find the mane of your mouse with

ron at localhost:~ $ xinput --list
⎜   ↳ Logitech USB Trackball                    id=10   [slave  pointer  (2)]

list the properties with
ron at localhost:~ $ xinput list-props "Logitech USB Trackball"
        Device 'Logitech USB Trackball':
        Evdev Middle Button Emulation (257):    0

and change the property with
ron at localhost:~ $ xinput set-prop "Logitech USB Trackball" "Evdev Middle
Button Emulation" 1

Cheers,

Ron.
--