[Mageia-discuss] Mageia review with bad experience

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 7 10:47:33 CEST 2011

2011/10/7 Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com>:

> For instance, if the only action available to "No medium found" is
> "Add media", why confuse him by asking what to do? instead of just
> adding the media and asking a further, more to the point question? (or
> doing something else more to the point in this context)

There may be users who do not want to add media in that moment (slow
network, whatever reason), so you must give a choice to either do the
recommended thing or not. The point here is that the message
 - states that something is wrong ("No media set")
 - gives a hint what to do to "repair" it ("You must add media")
To do this the user only has to click on a button which is right
beside the message and says "Add media".

But to follow your path into a more "userfriendly system (1)":
 - change the message to "There is no media set. You must add a set of
media for your Software Installation Management. Do you want to add a
media set?", followed by buttons for "Yes" - "Ask me again later"

I can not imagine how to do it more userfriendly short of full
automatism (which we do not want).

(1) "A system is userfriendly if you can use it without thinking!"
(quote from sorry-forgotten-the-name)

--
wobo