[Mageia-discuss] Network connection at install time

Len Lawrence lcl at tarazed.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 00:08:49 CEST 2011

On 09/10/11 22:40, Frank Griffin wrote:
> On 10/09/2011 05:23 PM, Len Lawrence wrote:
>>  However, for the last five or six installs there has been
>> native support but the attempt to connect at the end of the install
>> has always failed.  On booting the new system the network comes up
>> fine.
> I'd say it is worth pursuing.  You should enter a bug report.  I
> assume you know that the network is actually up during the install,
> e.g. because you're doing a network install.  You would need to have a
> USB stick or a floppy disk available during install.  When you get
> whatever error you get during the updates phase at the end, switch to
> virtual console 2 via CTRL-ALT-F2 and type "bug".  This will place a
> diagnostic file on the USB or floppy called report.bug, which you
> should *attach* (not cut and paste) to the bug report.  It should
> contain the syslog, which should itself contain messages indicating
> why the network failed to come up.

No, the network is not up.  I install from the DVD.  It is at the end of
the installation that the script offers to try to connect.  As I said,
failure at this point does not bother me because I am not inclined to
install the updates at that point anyway - could make it a very long
night.  I had thought about a bug report but had no data.  However, on
my next install I shall be prepared.  Thanks for the information on how
to capture the required data.  And these failures apply across several
different systems and network hardware, wired or wireless, and always
from CD or DVD. The installations have nearly always been
straightforward (60-70 altogether) save for the inability to connect to
the net.  My experience shows that this is merely a glitch but newcomers
might fear that this means no networking after first boot.  I cannot
believe that this is not a common problem.