[Mageia-discuss] Mageia review with bad experience

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 16:30:15 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 23:31, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> Le lundi 10 octobre 2011 à 17:40 +0200, Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
>> On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 16:34, Frank Griffin <ftg at roadrunner.com> wrote:
>> > The goal should be rather that the user has less or no *need* to look at the
>> > help.  But it needs to be there for safety and comfort.
>>
>> Yes, that's the point. Making the installer so the user can be
>> confident enough into it and shouldn't have to call for help (then
>> installer "story" would then anticipate potential fears). And still
>> make help available as a last resort.
>
> But the installer can mess the disk. So it has to be scary enough so
> people stop and think about what they do.

Right, but again, what do we want? Scare/bother users, or make them
confident and productive with the tools we provide them with? (this
relates to my other remark regarding "listening to a song" / "getting
the right codecs").

Note, I'm not pretending we should just throw away the good parts of
what we have, but we should think again, from a larger perspective,
from the user point of view, how to make the system more helpful (as
in, it's not because you're an expert that your tools should not have
a default simple setup).

Romain