[Mageia-discuss] Mageia review with bad experience

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Wed Oct 12 03:50:03 CEST 2011

Doug Laidlaw a écrit :
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 09:00:02 PM mageia-discuss-request at mageia.org wrote:
>
>> People are reading pages over pages of documentation on their nes washing
>> machines, but expect not to have to do any reading on a complex thing like
>> a  computer and an operating system.
>> That's one of the main problems nowadays..
>>
>> Oliver
>>
> More precisely, I think, the Help must be handy.  It is no use telling them to
> look elsewhere before starting up their computer.  Each piece of Help must be
> linked to where it is needed.
>
> Doug.

Exactly.  Well-designed context-oriented help.  That is one of the
bigger weaknesses of Mageia (and Mandriva), compared to at least one
other distro.
(But the drak* tools are one of our strengths.)
Note that context-oriented help is not intrusive -- it is available if
needed, but almost invisible otherwise.

One point is that help is not only useful if the user has a problem.  It
can be a useful confidence-building confirmation for a new user, no
matter how experienced.
I've seen a lot of new users -- in all sorts of environments -- who
needed little more than confirmation to proceed confidently with a computer.

--
André