[Mageia-discuss] Mageia review with bad experience

Pierre Jarillon jarillon at abul.org
Fri Oct 14 08:59:09 CEST 2011

Le lundi 10 octobre 2011 23:29:08, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> With the problem of having experienced people leaving, because "mandrake
> is a distribution for newbie, i am not a newbie, therefor, mandrake is
> not for me". This surely helped debian or fedora to get contributers.

IMO, there is another reason, a lack of documentation.
When something goes wrong, it is very difficult to understand how it should
work.
Some examples:
- printing
- video configuration
- sound
- security
I saw people using chmod but it was back in the previous state. Those people
ignore msec and MCC.
- network : Generally, network configuration works perfectly but when
something wrong happens it is now rather complicated to do something.

Mageia (and Mandriva) are more and more complicated. Thus, the number of
people able to debug and make a patch continuously decreases.
An accurate documentation is necessary.

--
Pierre Jarillon - http://pjarillon.free.fr/
Vice-président de l'ABUL : http://abul.org/