[Mageia-discuss] Setting up NFS shares with MCC -- fixing etc/fstab

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sun Oct 23 16:42:29 CEST 2011

Hi Bernard

Le 2011-10-22 07:02, Rama Space Ship a écrit :
> Hello Marc,
>>
>>> If you add the <host name>/<IP address> mapping using the
>>> MCC/Network/<Host definitions> and don't modify by hand the fstab file,
>>> does it work or not?
>>>
>> Yes, I tried:
>>
>> IP address: 192.168.2.2
>> Host name: MarcComputer
>> Host Aliases: MarcComputer
>>
>> The only problem with this is that when the router is re-set the IP
>> addresses may change unless you have setup static IP addresses.
> Using the IP address in fstab has the same limitation.
>>
>> When the NFS used to work, you did not have to go through these steps.
>> The process would find the NFS servers and set up the shares and fstab
>> by itself. It no longer does that and the average user would not know
>> to set up host definitions etc.
> My question was not to provide a workaround, but to help identify where
> the problem is.

Sorry if it sounded like I was picking on your statements, it was not
intended to sound like this.

> It seems that you have a name resolution problem, not a NFS problem. If
> I take the fstab file you use when starting that thread:

Yup, the NFS is rock solid once it is set in fstab correctly.

> - the setting of NFS shares uses "linux-5" as remote hostname (question
> to an expert: how does the tool find this name?)
> - but "linux-5" is not found as a remote host (question to Marc: is
> "linux-5.local" found as a remote host, e.g. can you ping linux-5.local?)
> If your remote host is named "linux-5", "linux-5.local" should work as
> it should be published by the ZeroConf mechanism (avahi).
>
> So if this works, the best workaround could be to use "linux-5.local" in
> the fstab file as it does not depend on static IP addresses.
>
> The fix would be that the setting of NFS shares uses ZeroConf hostnames.
>
>> Somehow, the setting up of NFS shares and fstab was broken in older
>> versions of Mdv and never fixed.
> It was probably broken when the ZeroConf mechanism was used, as the
> hostnames got ".local" appended.
>
> Regards.
>
> Bernard

Yes, all of this seems to make sense. Is there a way to test this or
should it be put to the bugzilla? Is this considered an easy fix?

Cheers,

Marc