[Mageia-discuss] Copying system to new disk

Morgan Leijström fri at tribun.eu
Mon Nov 14 10:04:22 CET 2011

måndagen den 14 november 2011 09.37.33 skrev  Juergen Harms:
> The hard drive containing my system partitions is dying. I can still
> read it, but will have to rapidly replace it by a new (and bigger) drive.

Try to avoid writing to it as temporary faults may screw files up....

> Does somebody have experience with - rather re-installing Mga and
> Windows-7 partition - simply copying the corresponding file-system
> (piped tar) and then just recreating the boot sector - would be much
> quicker, in particular for the windows partition? Any particular
> precautions to take?

Once i simply booted a live system, used dd to copy from old to bigger larger
drive, then gparted to extend (not move) windows partition, and i think i just
moved and extended home while deleting linux system and reinstalled.

Using dd on the whole disk ( /dev/sdx (whthout number ) take the whole drive
including boot sector and whatever.

Of course you can dd to a file on a mounted large drive too, to make a backup
as soon as possible and then from the file to new drive at later time.