[Mageia-discuss] Copying system to new disk

Morgan Leijström fri at tribun.eu
Mon Nov 14 15:30:01 CET 2011

måndagen den 14 november 2011 11.00.16 skrev  Juergen Harms:
> Thank you, that sounds good, is a "thumbs up" (my doubts were mainly
> with the "making executable" stuff and suspecting "windows facies").
>
> Before going to dd, I will try partitioning my new disk with gparted (or
> the Mageia ISO)

Try http://www.sysresccd.org/ as andré suggested - it is my favourite tool
too.  Also the documentation, hints and links on their website are good :)

> - do all the disk layout re-arrangements I can think of
> and than copy individual file-systems with tar - should be substantially
> faster since it skips all unused space - for the windows partition that
> would give
> cd /media/windows ; tar cf - . | (cd /<new-windows-path>; tar xf -)

Normally a good idea is to from inside windows first clean off unneeded files,

Good tips see:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15140/what-is-hiberfil.sys-and-how-do-i-delete-
it/

http://www.howtogeek.com/62946/beginner-geek-simple-tips-to-reduce-disk-usage-
in-windows-7/

Ant the linked dools there to graphically see size of files, and the other to
clean the system of unneeded files.

Then defrag, and then fill unused space with zeroes for good compression using
SDelete: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897443

***  BUT In your case with failing drive i sugest not doing any of this ! ***

... how did i end up giving support for a Microsoft product !?  ;)

( I just installed a Win7 trial just to update main board and SSD fiormware and
play with eit, and Win7 really is a monster of needed updates, downloads etc
so i ended up above 30 GB, now it runs within a 17 GB partition )