[Mageia-discuss] Sun java updates must now be downloaded and installed manually.

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 23 09:32:35 CET 2011

2011/11/23 Alejandro López <listas.apl at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 1:32 AM, D.Morgan <dmorganec at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Markus Ueberall
>> <Markus.Ueberall at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I wonder whether it is feasible to come up with a "get-sun-java" rpm
>> > which uses the same mechanism as the get-skype rpm for those who
>> > need/prefer Oracle's implementation?
>> >
>> > Ad astra, Markus
>>
>> Why ?  openjdk is good enough to replace oracle java.
>> and soonish we will have java7 too in mageia so i really don't see now
>> the need of the closed source one.
>

> Everything you said is true, but let me disagree with your question. Why
> not? Some users might prefer Oracle's java, while others might rather use
> OpenJDK. As long as there are volunteers for maintaining both packages, why
> shou;d it be one or the other? Why not providing both?

In addition to that I read postings in the forum about OpenJDK not
being able to run certain scripts/apps which were written with/on
Oracle's java. The same story as with Okular vs. Acrobat Reader. For
some users the need for the closed source application is a reality.
Whether this is enough to have a "get-sun-java" or not is another
question, though.

--
wobo