[Mageia-discuss] Sun java updates must now be downloaded and installed manually.

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 23 10:09:39 CET 2011

2011/11/23 Thorsten van Lil <tvl83 at gmx.de>:
> Am 23.11.2011 09:33, schrieb Oliver Burger:

>>> Everything you said is true, but let me disagree with your question. Why
>>> not? Some users might prefer Oracle's java, while others might rather use
>>> OpenJDK. As long as there are volunteers for maintaining both packages,
>>> why
>>> shou;d it be one or the other? Why not providing both?
>>>
>> let me answer this from another perspective.
>>
>> Mageia is an OpenSource project. So it should be our main goal to promote
>> OpenSource software.
>> So why should we bother to promote Oracle Jave by creating a workarround
>> in
>> our packaging system, when they are clearly moving away from the
>> OpenSource
>> community?
>
> Because the users expect to have it in the repositories. It may be used
> against Mageia, if it is not in there (as for flash, proprietary drivers,
> ...).
> Where do we want to draw the line, as we did the same for skype?
>
> We propagate the repositories as one main advantage of Linux. Everything is
> in one trusted source. No more seeking and downloading somewhere in the web
> from several sites. Automated updates. How should the uninformed and lazy
> user understand, that we didn't provide at least a "get-java" package?

Yes, you are right: where do we want to draw the line?  2 points:
 - Oliver talked about Oracle moving away from Open Source users.
 - Oracle java (as Adobe Reader) is not essential for the majority of
users like flashplayer and proprietary drivers and firmware.

Maybe these points provide the "line to draw" - otherwise we can move
on to all kinds of closed source games and whatever. Users always
"want", it is in their genes.

--
wobo