[Mageia-discuss] Sun java updates must now be downloaded and installed manually.

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Wed Nov 23 13:03:52 CET 2011

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011, Alejandro López wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 1:32 AM, D.Morgan <dmorganec at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Markus Ueberall
> > <Markus.Ueberall at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I wonder whether it is feasible to come up with a "get-sun-java" rpm
> > > which uses the same mechanism as the get-skype rpm for those who
> > > need/prefer Oracle's implementation?
> > >
> > > Ad astra, Markus
> >
> > Why ?  openjdk is good enough to replace oracle java.
> > and soonish we will have java7 too in mageia so i really don't see now
> > the need of the closed source one.
> >

> Everything you said is true, but let me disagree with your question. Why
> not? Some users might prefer Oracle's java, while others might rather use
> OpenJDK. As long as there are volunteers for maintaining both packages, why
> shou;d it be one or the other? Why not providing both?

There is maybe volunteers to maintain oracle java package, but I don't
think there is many volunteers to maintain the full java stack with both
JVMs. We already have too few people maintaining the java packages, so
if we can avoid giving them more work by supporting multiple JVMs,
that's better.

That's also why we try to have if possible only one version of gcc, perl,
python, ruby, etc ...