[Mageia-discuss] Firefox 8

Florian Hubold doktor5000 at arcor.de
Fri Nov 25 12:02:34 CET 2011

Am 25.11.2011 09:33, schrieb David W. Hodgins:
> On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 02:50:45 -0500, Sander Lepik <sander.lepik at eesti.ee> wrote:
>
>> 25.11.2011 02:15, Manuel Hiebel kirjutas:
>> Does it disable them automatically or is the user prompted for this
>> action? AFAIK the user should be prompted..
>
> With firefox 8.0.0, the first startup would show a screen similar to
> the "checking for plugins compatibility", that people were used to.
>
> If you just clicked ok, without actually reading it, any language pack
> in use would be disabled, forcing it to the us version of English.
>
> With the 8.0.1, that screen no longer shows up, and the language packs
> stay enabled, and languages are now shown separately on the tools/add ons
> page.
>
> So, yes, the user is prompted, but the way they are prompted makes it
> very likely they will unintentionally disable their language, with the
> 8.0.0 version of firefox.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Another problem was that f.ex. our language pack was shown as:

    Installed by: 3rd party.

which would have given a bad impression.
Otherwise this new "feature" of firefox doesn't make sense on linux,
if you have some systemwide installed plugins, then root must have
installed them, and if you don' trust root anymore, then we can throw
our whole security system out the door :)

Sorry that the update took so long, for reference the update itself
was available in SVN since Nov. 6, but there were various issues
that needed to be fixed, and dmorgan was busy as always (no offense)
so in order to get out a properly working update, it took a bit more time.