[Mageia-discuss] Why Mageia isn't a "Lion Friendly" distribution?

Olav Dahlum odahlum at broadpark.no
Fri Dec 9 06:49:08 CET 2011

On 09/12/11 06:35, Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
> On Friday 09 December 2011 04:31, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
>> Some people like me more care about their wallets than patents.
>
> If you don't care about patents you don't care about your wallet either. They are more closely linked that most people will admit.

Yep, but let's not get too religious over this and count everyone
holding software patents (I guess you meant those Johnny)
as trolls. Software patents are in most cases used as bargaining chips
or protection to avoid being caught in lengthy legal
disputes with other holders of software patents. And these agreements
might reflect in the cost of the products, as Johnny points out.
If we do give in and are reluctant to implement functions covered by
some US patents, then we're in fact validating the current situation and
playing by their rules.

– Olav