[Mageia-discuss] Feature request: uppercase letters in user names

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 05:43:13 CET 2011

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 18:49:34 -0500, Richard Couture <rrc at linuxcabal.org> wrote:

> I think that the RFC for EMail says that any user wishing to receive
> mail had better have no CAPS in his/her username

> On 12/12/2011 05:32 PM, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:
>> On Monday 12 Dec 2011 19:07 my mailbox was graced by a message from iZoli who
>> wrote:
>>> So my feature request would be to support uppercase letters in usernames,
>>> like in openSUSE and Fedora.

>> You can already create a username with upper-case letters with useradd in a
>> console.

While I think it's a bad idea, one option would be to look for
any capital letters in the loginid, and if present, automatically
create an additional loginid with the uppercase translated to
lowercase with the same UID/GID, for compatibility with things
like postfix.

Of course that would require rejecting the creation of the loginid
if the lowercase version would be a duplicate.

Regards, Dave Hodgins