[Mageia-discuss] erros after mageia1 install

bascule asura at theexcession.co.uk
Wed Dec 14 05:19:01 CET 2011

On Tuesday 13 December 2011 07:25:27 Johnny A. Solbu wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 December 2011 08:01, bascule wrote:
> > firewall ->
> >     Error: No firewall rules in IPv4 INPUT chain and policy is set to
> > ACCEPT. firewall: ERROR
>
> Instead of "ERROR", shouldn't this simply state that the Firewall is Off?
> And why is that an Error? On some systems and circumstances, like a local
> internal network (often behind NAT), a firewall is deliberately diaabled,
> and is therefore not an Error.
still struggling with these errors, after correcting some of the permisions
where the fix was stated the next msec check promptly contradicted itslef by
saying i should change them back, the following two system emails have just
been produced by msec:
1.
---------------
WARNING: Enforcing group on /proc to adm
WARNING: Enforcing permissions on /var/log/samba/cores/smbd to 600
WARNING: Enforcing group on /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key to adm
WARNING: Enforcing group on /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key.pub to adm
WARNING: Enforcing group on /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key to adm
WARNING: Enforcing group on /etc/ssh/sshd_config to adm
WARNING: Enforcing permissions on /etc/ssh/sshd_config to 640
WARNING: Enforcing permissions on /home/bascule to 751
WARNING: Enforcing group on /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key.pub to adm
WARNING: Enforcing permissions on /var/log/samba/cores/nmbd to 600
WARNING: Enforcing group on /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key to adm
WARNING: Enforcing group on /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub to adm
WARNING: Enforcing permissions on /var/log/dmesg to 640
WARNING: Enforcing permissions on /var/log/messages to 640
WARNING: Enforcing permissions on /var/log/lastlog to 640
WARNING: Enforcing permissions on /var/log/rpmpkgs to 640
--------------
2.
-----------------
openssh ->
    Warning: Wrong permissions on regular file "/etc/ssh/sshd_config": 640 (sshd
configuration file, required permissions are 600)
    Error: Missing file or directory: "/var/empty/sshd" (directory used by sshd
during privilege separation in the pre-authentication phase)
    Warning: Wrong owner/group on regular file: "/etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key"
(sshd private key - from configuration file, required owner/group is root:root)
    Warning: Wrong owner/group on regular file: "/etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key.pub"
(sshd public key - from configuration file, required owner/group is root:root)
    Warning: Wrong owner/group on regular file: "/etc/ssh/ssh_host_key" (sshd
private key - from configuration file, required owner/group is root:root)
    Warning: Wrong owner/group on regular file: "/etc/ssh/ssh_host_key.pub"
(sshd public key - from configuration file, required owner/group is root:root)
    Warning: Wrong owner/group on regular file: "/etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key"
(sshd private key - from configuration file, required owner/group is root:root)
    Warning: Wrong owner/group on regular file: "/etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub"
(sshd public key - from configuration file, required owner/group is root:root)
    openssh: ERROR

ogfiles ->
    Error: File /var/log/lastlog has wrong permssions! The correct permissions
are 644.
    Error: File /var/log/messages has wrong permssions! The correct
permissions are 600.
    logfiles: ERROR
-------------
as you can see the contents of 1 contradict the contents of 2 but both are
produced by the msec cron jobs that run about 4am, i must be alone in this
error since i can't imagine it being widespread and not reported before,
therefore my install must be unique somehow and the only candidate in my mind
is my not formatting /var when i did the install, only surely that's not
uncommon?

bascule
--
"In a word -- im-possible!"