[Mageia-discuss] Feature request: uppercase letters in user names

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 15:43:57 CET 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 15:04, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati
<renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 Dec 2011 09:39 my mailbox was graced by a message from Buchan
> Milne who wrote:
>> > So my feature request would be to support uppercase letters in usernames,
>
>> Can you explain why you would want this?
>
> Why not ? Is not Linux about freedom of choice ?

That does not equate with getting whatever one wants done. Unless one
can make and contribute it on her own.

> And since the system accepts upper case in user names, why restrict them at
> the mcc/userdrake level ?

First, it is not clear if the request is clearly about the system user
id/login or about the user real name (which already does what is
asked). Is it about having your real displayed here and there instead
of your user id? Is it about being able to authenticate with one or
the other?