[Mageia-discuss] booting with two sata disks

bascule asura at theexcession.co.uk
Sat Dec 31 00:07:06 CET 2011

On Friday 30 December 2011 22:45:37 JA Magallon wrote:
> epending on how you connect your drives to the mobo SATA sockets, your bios
> still knows it has to boot from your original drive (by name), but anything
> in GRUB or kernel that points to hd0 (first drive) now points to your last
> plugged drive, that is in a low SATA port number.
> So check you SATA port numbers and connect your system drive to the first.
> Boot with only that drive and chech that:
> - /boot/grub/devices.map has hd0 alias to sda
> - /boot/grub/install.sh installs on hd0,0
> - /boot/grub/menu.lst has root/boot/kernel/initrd pointing to hd0,0
> - /etc/fstab points root (/) to sda1 or an UUID
> - you don't have any reference to sdb anywhere, all should be sda.
hmm, my disks are attched to a pci controller card because the mobo sata ports
don't support the newer sataIII disk, the card bios reports the boot drive as
drive 0 and if i swap the disks over then i don't even see the grub menu,
reading about dracut i find:
--------
Therefore, instead of scripts hard-coded to do various things, we depend on
udev to create device nodes for us and then when we have the rootfs's device
node, we mount and carry on.
this seems to be the problem, upon booting and selectng the grub entry i get
the usual on screen messages if i press esc. to get a verbose boot, all the
way until a message about the root filesystem, a message about udev and then
the message about not starting boot splash,

i shall try to force a new imge using dracut

bascule
--
The trouble with being a god is that you've got no one to pray to.
(Small Gods)