[Mageia-discuss] Laptop running hot

Max Quarterpleen bogusman222 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 12:03:43 CEST 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif at shlomifish.org> wrote:

> Hi Max,
>
> On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:24:34 +0300
> Max Quarterpleen <bogusman222 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I finally got around to upgrading my laptop to Mga2, and it's running
> > very hot.
> > Much hotter than Windows and Mga1.
> > Does anybody know of any way to help this?
> > This not only makes it uncomfortable to work, it has a detrimental
> > effect on battery life...
>
> Your message is awfully short of details. What I'd like to know is:
>
> 1. What is your laptop's model and specifications?

It is a Toshiba Satellite L745-S4210.
Specs from manufacturer's site:
http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/satellite/l740/l745-s4210/
(I paid $100 less than that price last December at Best Buy)

> 2. Which desktop environment are you using?

KDE 4.8.2

> 3. Which applications are you running?

As a general rule: Firefox and Konsole.
Occasionally Dolphin, Dragon Player, Libre Office, Amarok.... nothing
exceptionally heavy.

> 4. Which graphics driver are you using? Is it the proprietary driver?
>

>From lshw:
*-display
             product: 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated
Graphics Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 2
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:02.0
             version: 09
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
             configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
             resources: irq:41 memory:c0000000-c03fffff
memory:b0000000-bfffffff ioport:4000(size=64)

$ modinfo video
filename:
/lib/modules/3.3.6-desktop-2.mga2/kernel/drivers/acpi/video.ko.xz
license:        GPL
author:         Bruno Ducrot
srcversion:     10DC2D8B4D20653B4416E00
alias:          acpi*:LNXVIDEO:*
depends:
intree:         Y
vermagic:       3.3.6-desktop-2.mga2 SMP mod_unload modversions
parm:           brightness_switch_enabled:bool
parm:           allow_duplicates:bool
parm:           use_bios_initial_backlight:bool

I think that answers the question.
Thanks.