[Mageia-discuss] Mageia 2 Wireless LAN (Wifi) Connection Keeps Getting Disconnected

RICHARD WALKER richard.j.walker at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 10 10:58:45 CEST 2012

Hi  Shlomi,

I have another solution - works for me - but not necessarily
recommended for the world. I use Mandriva 2008.1 on my laptop. Never
had much in the way of keeping that connected. I occasionally have to
pop the pcmcia wifi to get it to connect first time, but it usually
(90% of the time) stays connected around the house.

In contrast, I built a Mageia 2 Dell Inspiron laptop a few weeks ago
and it is the devil's own job to keep connected and re-connect after
it drops. Range to wifi gateway? I tested if at around 4feet - often
drops connection after only a few hours or minutes (depending on ...
temperature? Humidity? Day of the week?).

To change the subject from a problem which possibly has a solution to
one which (so far as I can tell) hasn't; I see you have had an
interest in computer games of the timewasting solo variety; can I
interest you in a puzzle which has troubled me for decades?

Do you know those little plastic squares with 24 alphabet tiles in a
5x5 grid? The idea is to push the tiles around until you have them in
alphabetic order left to right, top to bottom, with an empty square in
the bottom right corner.

Back in the mid-eighties I wrote a version of this game for my
Sinclair QL. I stored the tiles in a one-dimension array  where they
were initially shuffled.

I discovered, after much trial and error, that the chances of being
able to solve the puzzle after shuffling is almost exactly 1 in 2. The
problem is that 50% of shuffles results in an order where, by the
rules of tile movement, two adjacent tiles must be exchanged - and
that is not possible.

Any ideas how to test the shuffled result to determine if such a
transposition exists _without_ solving the game?

Just a thought.

Richard