[Mageia-discuss] UEFI and Secure Boot (Tony Blackwell)

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 12 11:28:43 CEST 2012

2012/8/12 Tony Blackwell <tablackwell at bigpond.com>:
> Goh Lip wrote:
> "Personally, as things stand as it is, I'd opt for disabling secure boot and
> if Windows 8 won't boot (with disabled secure boot), so be it."
>
> My current understanding from communications with ASUS and Gigabyte is that
> their BIOS's will not provide any way to disable secure boot.  Does anyone
> have further info re this?

If these informations are correct then both are not respecting
Microsoft's "rules": Microsoft requirements for standard desktop
computers bearing the Windows 8 logo say that Secure Boot can be
disabled.

Since 4 weeks a big German OEM (Medion) for the mass market offers a
PC with UEFI, where UEFI is disabled by default. The MoBo is a
MSI-Mainboard MS-7800. The PC comes with Windows 7 and an upgrade
option for Windows 8.
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Aldi-PC-becomes-first-retail-PC-with-UEFI-Secure-Boot-1635893.html

The only architecture Microsoft demands a UEFI which can't be disabled
is the ARM architecture.

Personally I must admit that I never thought that SuSE nor Fedora
would spread Microsoft FUD. Still they do.
Mageia should not pay any attention.