[Mageia-discuss] UEFI and Secure Boot

Maurice Batey maurice at bcs.org.uk
Tue Aug 14 16:35:31 CEST 2012

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 14:01:35 +0200, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:

>  If they confirm  "works with Linux"

  Some PC suppliers have no interest in Linux users and would not give
any such assurance, e.g. (from actual email):

"We don’t support Linux and this is the only people this affects.
   If it [Disable Secure Boot option] is missing, ASUS have disabled
it, we are not or have not gone out of our way to remove that option."

Anorher company was less negative:

"This is something we have yet to agree on as a company. In the weeks
coming up to the launch of Windows 8 we will be making it clear whether
secure boot will be enabled or disabled but we cannot say yet.
   I am afraid it is impossible for me to answer your question
definitively until we have final Windows 8 in our hands - it may end up
being a non-issue. Certainly with the consumer preview there is no
problem running it alongside non-windows OS - I do it myself.
   I've been all through the BIOS of a P8Z77-V motherboard and there are
no options to enable or disable secure boot specifically. Indeed you
need to "force" the system to boot in UEFI mode by going to the boot tab
and selecting the “Boot Override section”. Here you find an entry for
your DVD drive but will also find another entry at the bottom of the
section for the same DVD but prefixed with UEFI: one clicks on this
entry to boot in UEFI mode. We need to do this regularly to allow HDD
drives larger than 3TB to be used."

And the 3rd company:

"It is my understanding that by default Asus motherboards Boot in
non-UEFI mode. Windows 8 is the first natively UEFI aware Microsoft
operating system and we can boot, for example, Ubuntu and redhat disro
disks no problem using the Z77 series of boards."

--
/\/\aurice