[Mageia-discuss] UEFI and Secure Boot

Goh Lip lipg at gmx.com
Sat Aug 18 09:55:51 CEST 2012

On 08/18/12 15:23, Sander Lepik wrote:
> Windows 8 doesn't require secure boot. It can be installed on older
> hardware w/o problems. And it runs quite well on Virtualbox. Only guest
> additions won't work too well.

Release date of Windows 8 is Ocotober 26. What you're having is
Developer Preview or Consumer Preview which will run on Bios/UEFI,
MSDos/GPT (like Windows 7) and these do not require 'secure boot'.

An as 'secure boot' is concerned, as of 4 weeks ago, there were no
motherboards manufactured with it.

BTW and referring to an earlier post, Linux will happily run on
Bios/UEFI, MsDos/GPT too and one can have GPT partition with Bios on it
also.

As for Microsoft's 'secure boot', there is nothing we've seen yet.