[Mageia-discuss] UEFI and Secure Boot

Thomas Backlund tmb at mageia.org
Tue Aug 21 20:31:56 CEST 2012

Maurice Batey skrev 21.8.2012 21:11:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 00:52:43 +0800, Goh Lip wrote:
>
>> Most likely, your disk is GPT partitioned and windows 7 installed on it
>> with at least 2 partitions (one for boot and probably one more for
>> recovery besides the usual OS partition).
>
>     If that's the case then I get the feeling that Magiea-2 will not
> install alongside Windows7.
>     Is that true?

Nope, installing it alongside is not a problem.

The thing that is missing is a efi capable bootloader
(wich is why I used the fedora grub-efi from
  http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/grub_legacy.html)

> If so, then - as I don't really want to use Windows on this netbook -
> perhaps the simplest approach for me would be to re-format the whole
> disk with a non-GPT setup, and install Mageia-2 on that.
>       Would that be a workable approach?
> Would this 'UEFI' motherboard handle such a disk properly?

If you dont need windows 7, then it's probably easier to disable
uefi (if you can) and do a "old style" install.

--

Thomas